If you are a chocolate lover, then this chocolate chip pie recipe is for you! Who doesn’t love a little chocolate at the end of the day, let alone in the form of a pie? This decadent and chocolaty dessert is a delicious recipe that you will probably make more than once. It is the perfect treat to take to special gatherings, family dinners, or even for yourself!
Chocolate Chip Pie – A Chocolate Lover’s Dream Dessert!
This is one of my family’s very favorite pies. We always serve it at Thanksgiving alongside pecan pie. But, it’s not to be confused with chocolate fudge pie – totally different! We usually serve both of them for different people in our family who love each one.
If you love chocolate fudge pie but want to find another chocolaty option, then this pie is for you!
Rich and studded with semi-sweet chocolate chips, this pie is the perfect dessert to serve after dinner with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
It is one of those amazing traditional recipes that can be made quickly with very little prep work involved. And, you are left with a beautifully made pie full of flavor and sweet chocolate.
I love to make this pie for all occasions, and I always have a few people ask me for the recipe. It is just that good! It also keeps for several days, which is perfect if you need to make it ahead of time or want it to last for a little longer.
If you are looking for an easy pie recipe that the whole family will love – this is your pie. Chocolate lovers… get ready!
Ingredients Needed to Make Chocolate Chip Pie
To make this pie recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Butter: You will need a hearty amount of butter to make this pie extra delicious! Not only does it add flavor, but it helps to bring the pie ingredients together.
- Sugar: Because we are using semi-sweet chocolate, you will need to add in a good amount of sugar. This guarantees that you will get a deliciously sweet pie that isn’t too bitter from the chocolate.
- Flour: A small amount of flour helps to hold this pie together and allows it to bake to delicious perfection!
- Eggs: The eggs in this recipe are the classic binder that helps to bring all of the other ingredients together. Without the eggs, you would most likely be left with a gooey mess instead of a pie.
- Vanilla: Just a touch of vanilla extract brings out the flavors in this pie and gives it a hint of vanilla flavor. This is the perfect combination with the strong flavors of the chocolate!
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt helps to level out all of the sweetness of this pie which makes it more balanced and tasty.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: The chocolate chips are the stars of this pie recipe! Creating a deliciously melty and gooey pie that is a chocolate lover’s dream. This recipe uses semi-sweet chocolate to avoid making it too sweet.
- Pecans: The pecans add a nice crunchy element to this pie as well as an extra flavor to enjoy.
- Pie Crust: For this recipe, you will need a premade pie shell. If you prefer, you could even make your own homemade pie crust instead.
What To Serve With This Chocolate Chip Pie Recipe
This chocolate chip pie recipe is delicious all on its own and is more than sweet enough to curb a sugar tooth craving! But, it goes nicely with a few other things as well, such as:
- Topped with whipped cream and some chocolate sauce.
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream for an even more decadent dessert.
- Warmed up peanut butter, drizzled over the top for a peanut butter and chocolate pie.
There are all kinds of tasty things that you could top this pie with! It is a great dessert to take with you to any event.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Classic Pie Recipe
Whenever I share this recipe, I get some of the same questions. Here are the most popular ones that people ask!
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please leave them in the comments, and I’ll answer them as soon as possible.
Should I refrigerate this chocolate chip pie?
You do not have to refrigerate this pie if you intend on eating it within 2 to 3 days. But, you can refrigerate it if you want to extend its shelf life or if you can’t eat it within a few days.
You could also make the pie ahead of time and refrigerate it until you are ready to serve it.
Can I make chocolate chip pie with a graham cracker crust?
You definitely can make this pie with a graham cracker crust! Simply follow a graham cracker crust recipe and pre-bake it before adding in the filling.
Can I use other nuts instead of pecans?
Pecans are traditionally used in chocolate chip pie, but you can replace them with other nuts if you prefer. Macadamian, cashews, almonds, and walnuts are all good options.
Can the butter be replaced with margarine?
You probably can replace the butter in this recipe with margarine, but I can’t say for sure. Margarine has slightly different melting points than real butter, which can affect the baking process.
To avoid this problem, you could try using half butter and half margarine or margarine with a bit of extra flour.
Can I freeze this pie?
I have never tried to freeze this pie recipe, so I’m not sure how it would turn out. But, I do not think that it would hold up well in the freezer.
I suspect that the texture might greatly change in the freezer and create a much less desirable pie. This might be one of those recipes that just needs to be made fresh. If you do try to freeze it, let me know in the comments how it turned out.
More Grandma Approved Recipes
If you enjoyed this chocolaty pie recipe, you should try these other tasty desserts – just like grandma used to make!
- No-Bake Frozen Lemonade Pie
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- dash of salt
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, optional
- 1 pie crust, unbaked
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter and let it cool down a bit, so as not to melt the chocolate chips.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except pie crust) and stir well.
- Pour chocolate chip mixture in the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until browned on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American