If you are looking for a delicious summer salad that is light and refreshing, you should try this fruit chicken salad recipe! It is light, fresh, and full of fruit and hearty chicken for a filling dish! It makes the perfect salad on a hot day or for a picnic in the park or barbecue with friends.
Fruit Chicken Salad – A Refreshing Summer Dish!
This fruit chicken salad is a delicious, classic salad recipe that actually doesn’t include any leafy greens. It is full of chopped chicken and a variety of fruit, which makes the perfect summer pair for a light and refreshing meal.
Eating light meals during summer is important to me since I don’t enjoy heavy food when the weather is warm or want to be working over a hot oven in the kitchen.
This salad is easy to throw together without having to heat any appliances up too much. And, it is filling while still being a nice, refreshing meal. I personally love to make this salad and add it to a sandwich for a wholesome meal, but it can be paired with many other kinds of dishes.
This is the perfect recipe to take to any summer barbecues since this is a popular salad recipe that most enjoy! I only ever get compliments when I bring this salad anywhere. It is also a great way of taking advantage of seasonal fruits and using them in more savory dishes.
I am always trying to find ways to take advantage of the seasonal produce available, especially when it’s fruit!
Ingredients Needed to Make Fruit Chicken Salad
To make this delicious salad recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken Breast: Chicken breast is one of the main ingredients in this refreshing salad. It adds not only savory flavor but plenty of protein that makes this salad much more filling.
- Celery: Celery is a classic vegetable to go in salads and adds a nice bit of crunchy texture and flavor.
- White Grapes: White grapes are the perfect fruit to pair with this salad, making it fresh and light with plenty of flavors. They pair deliciously with the chicken!
- Golden Raisins: Golden raisins add a burst of flavor and sweetness that brightens the whole salad.
- Mandarin Oranges: Mandarin oranges are bright and flavorful, and add just what this salad needs – citrus! These mandarin oranges make this salad even more delicious and refreshing.
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise is the perfect component to hold everything together. Not only does it add its own tangy and creamy flavor, but it helps to pull all of the other flavors together as well.
- Salt and Pepper: A dash of salt and pepper adds just the right amount of flavor to this salad and makes it pop.
- Pineapple Chunks: If you want more fruit in your chicken salad, you could add some pineapple chunks as well! These will add even more brightness and a slightly tangy flavor.
- Strawberry Chunks: Another delicious option to add to this salad is strawberries. Strawberries go very well with chicken and will add even more sweetness to the salad.
- Cranberries: A classic in chicken salads, it adds a bright tart sweetness to the dish.
What To Serve With This Chicken Fruit Salad Recipe
I highly recommend serving on a bed of lettuce with melons such as watermelon, honeydew, or cantaloupe. You can also serve it in a sandwich with lettuce or with crackers of your choice.
You could also serve this chicken fruit salad with these chicken crescent roll squares for a filling lunch!
I love to throw together a light lunch with this salad as the base for a sandwich. It is so easy to throw together in a hurry and tastes so delicious and refreshing!
Frequently Asked Questions About This Fruit and Chicken Salad
Whenever I share this recipe, I get some of the same questions. Here are the most popular ones that people ask!
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please leave them in the comments, and I’ll answer them as soon as possible.
Can I add nuts to this salad recipe?
Yes! You can add nuts to this salad if you are looking for another crunchy and savory element. Almonds, cashews, pecans, and pistachios would all be delicious ingredients in this recipe.
Adding nuts will also help to make this chicken fruit salad a bit more filling and nutritious.
Can different fruit be added to this fruit and chicken salad recipe?
If you want some more sweetness in your salad, you can definitely add in more fruit of your choosing to the recipe. I like to keep it simple with a few options, but you can choose any kind of fruit that you want.
Some other options that would go well in this salad would be pears, apples, cherries, and peaches!
Can I use grilled chicken breast in this salad?
You can use all kinds of differently cooked chicken in this fruit and chicken salad! The chicken can be baked, steamed, grilled, or sauteed. It really doesn’t matter that much.
You can even add in more flavor depending on how you cook the chicken breast.
How long will fruit and chicken salad last in the fridge?
Like any salad, this fruit and chicken salad is always best served fresh after making it. But, you can store it in the fridge for a small amount of time.
It can last for 2 to 3 days in the fridge, but it is best to eat it after one day of storing.
One way that you could cut down on the prep time is to have the chicken, celery, and fruit cut and prepared ahead of time before you combine everything. This will make it faster to assemble without having to make it ahead of time.
More Grandma Approved Recipes
If you loved this chicken salad with fruit, here are a few other recipes that you should try! They are all delicious and grandma-approved.
- Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- The Best Broccoli Salad Recipe
Fruit and Chicken Salad
- Large mixing bowl
- Cutting Board
- Sharp knife for cutting fruits and vegetables
- 3 cups chopped chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup seedless white grapes, halved
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 11 oz. can of mandarin oranges
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- pineapple chunks, optional
- strawberries diced, optional
- Rinse off all produce.
- Chop the chicken until you have 3 cups.
- Chop the celery into ¼ inch pieces until you have 1 cup.
- Halve seedless grapes until you have ½ cup.
- Optional: chop pineapple into chunks and dice strawberries.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together gently until well combined.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with melons such as watermelon, honey dew or cantaloupe, on a sandwich with lettuce or with crackers of your choice.