If you looking for a fun and delicious veggie side dish, try making this classic cheesy broccoli and rice casserole. It’s exactly what you think it is: creamy, cheesy in the middle, and crispy on top. It’s so yummy!
Classic Broccoli And Rice Casserole
If you are looking for a scrumptious side dish everyone in your family will love (and even hide a few veggies in there), then this recipe for cheesy broccoli and rice casserole is perfect for you!
This casserole dish definitely takes me back to my childhood. I remember my mom serving this a couple of times a month (especially at Thanksgiving) but I honestly never realized how easy it was to actually make it.
Nothing too fancy – just wholesome, “probably already have it in my pantry” kind of ingredients.
That’s my kind of recipe, for sure.
Easy Cheesy Rice And Broccoli Side Dish
When it comes to making this rice dish, I wanted to make it as simple as possible for all of you while making sure it was packed full of flavor- And cheese, of course.
I know there are probably a million different kinds of variations of this recipe out there but this one is mom AND grandma approved. So, it’s good enough for me!
My favorite part of this broccoli cheese rice casserole dish is the crispy top it gets after being baked in the oven. Tip: add crispy onions before baking for an even crispier top! Between the creaminess of the cheese and cream of soup with the smoothness of the broccoli and rice and crunchy exterior from being baked- this broccoli and rice casserole has become a staple in my meal plan routine.
Ingredients Are Needed For Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this recipe for dinner:
- Rice: For this recipe, you can use white or brown rice. It’s really whatever you prefer! Just make sure to make at least 2 cups.
- Chopped Vegetables: To make this casserole, we are going to use chopped onions, celery, and frozen chopped broccoli. Make sure to thaw out the frozen broccoli in boiling water, per the package, before adding to the recipe.
- Cream Of Chicken Soup: Adding this canned cream soup helps bind all of the ingredients together while providing that creamy goodness we all love.
- Olive Oil (Or Butter): Drizzle a little bit in the pan before sautéing the chopped onions and celery.
- Cheese: Now, I know using Cheez Whiz sounds a bit unconventional but trust me- it really puts this whole dish together! If you’re still not into it, you can always swap this out and make your own cheddar cheese sauce from scratch.
- Milk: For this recipe, I like to use regular whole milk. This helps break up some of the richness of the cream of chicken soup as well as add a nice creaminess to the broccoli and rice casserole.
Frequently Asked Questions About Broccoli And Rice Casserole
Before I share the full recipe for this veggie side dish, here are a few questions I wanted to answer first.
What kind of supplies do I need to make this broccoli and rice dish?
To make this casserole dish, you will need:
- Large pot (for cooking the rice)
- Large saucepan
- 9 x 13 baking dish
Note: You will need to repurpose the large pot for a couple of steps in the recipe but it will help to minimize the cleanup.
Do you have to cook rice before putting it in a casserole?
Normally, no. If you have enough liquid in the recipe, the rice will cook while you bake the dish.
However, since all of the ingredients for this recipe are all already precooked, the rice would be very undercooked or the whole dish would be mushy while trying to cook the rice.
Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
To make this broccoli and rice casserole vegetarian, make sure to swap out the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom soup. It still adds that creaminess and punch of flavor the dish needs but it’s safe to eat for a vegetarian.
Do I have to use broccoli?
Nope. You can easily swap the broccoli out for its sister, cauliflower. Or, you can do half broccoli and half cauliflower to switch it up!
How do you reheat this broccoli rice casserole?
If you have leftovers stored in the fridge, you can reheat this dish in 2 different ways:
- Reheat in the oven. Place the whole baking dish into the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until it is heated through.
- Reheat in the microwave. Add your desired serving to a microwave-safe dish or plate and heat for about 1-2 minutes until the casserole is heated through.
How To Make The Cheesiest Broccoli And Rice Casserole At Home
- Before you start cooking anything, make sure to wash and dry all of your produce.
- Chop the onion and the celery.
- Boil water in a large pot, per the rice instructions. Make 2 cups of rice according to the package.
- In a large pot, thaw out the broccoli in boiling water, according to package.
- While that is cooking, add a drizzle of olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Sauté the chopped onion and celery together until softened, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chopped broccoli, cream of soup, milk, Cheez Whiz, rice, salt, and pepper to the saucepan. Stir everything together until it’s well mixed.
- Pour the cheese broccoli mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add a couple of pats of butter (to taste) to the top of the casserole.
- Bake until the top of the casserole is golden brown and crunchy.
- Serve and enjoy!
What To Serve With Cheesy Broccoli and Rice
When I make this dish, I love to serve it with some juicy grilled or baked chicken and a delicious side salad.
Sometimes, I just eat this cheesy veggie-filled dish as my main meal because it’s just that good!
You can also serve it with:
- Roasted carrots
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Roasted turkey for Thanksgiving
More Grandma-Approved Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this recipe for broccoli and rice casserole, take a look at some of these other yummy recipes:
How cheesy do you love your broccoli and rice casserole to be? What do you like to serve with this veggie side dish? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- large pot
- large sauce pan
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 package frozen, chopped broccoli
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 8 oz. Cheez Whiz
- butter to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- crispy onions, sprinkled on top optional
- Boil water in a large pot, per the rice instructions. Make 2 cups of rice according to package.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Wash and dry produce.
- Chop onion and celery.
- In large pot, thaw broccoli in boiling water, according to package.
- In a large sauce pan, add a drizzle of oil. Sauté onion and celery together until softened, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add broccoli, soup, milk, Cheez Whiz, rice, salt and pepper to the sauce pan. Stir until well mixed.
- Turn mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add pats of butter (to taste) to the top of the casserole OR optional crispy onions.
- Bake at 350º for 30-40 minutes until brown and bubbly on top.
Leave a Reply