If you are looking for a delicious dessert recipe that has apples as the star ingredient, then this apple pizza might be just the recipe for you! A nontraditional spin on a classic apple pie, this pizza recipe is comforting and packed full of all of those warm flavors we all know and love.
Did You Just Say Apple Pizza? Yes, I Did!
Okay, okay- just give me a chance to explain.
So, we all love our apple pies and our warm apple crisps. But, sometimes, it can be time consuming to make those desserts. And, as much as I love them, I just want those cinnamon and nutmeg apple flavors as quick as I can.
Insert apple pizza.
This apple dessert pizza is one of those old-fashioned recipes that is simple and easy to make. It is beautiful and delicious without being too fancy or complicated- just like my mama intended!
In fact, you probably already have these ingredients on hand in your kitchen right now!
This is the perfect dessert for a quick midweek treat or for when last-minute guests or family members are coming over for dinner.
Ingredients Needed to Make an Apple Pizza
This is the kind of dessert that can be thrown together quickly while tasting like you spent hours making it!
To make this delicious apple pizza at home, here are a few of the ingredients that you will need:
- Yeast: The yeast is an important part of the base for this dessert pizza as it creates a light and fluffy crust.
- Sugar: Sugar helps the yeast to activate in the dough, making it rise much faster.
- Salt: Just a bit of salt helps to give the dough its flavor and depth.
- Flour: I used regular unbleached flour to make my crust, but you could always experiment with other types of flour for different effects.
- Sugar: Sugar helps pull the flavor from the apples and makes this dessert just the right level of sweetness! You could use all kinds of different sugar depending on what you have.
- Apples: Gala or fuji apples make the perfect fruit to go on top of your dessert pizza, but you could always experiment with other types of fruit as well.
- Butter: Butter gives this dessert its richness without being overly fatty.
- Spices: This apple pizza calls for warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg because they blend so well with the flavor of the apples.
- Powdered sugar: Powdered sugar not only helps to sweeten your glaze but it acts as the thickening agent as well.
- Milk: Milk is just the right liquid to make your glaze thick and glossy while still being pourable.
- Vanilla extract: Just a touch of vanilla extract pulls this glaze together and makes it the perfect complement to this dessert.
Additions and Substitutions For Apple Pizza Recipe
- Sweeteners: You could use several different sweeteners besides white sugar, such as brown sugar, cane sugar, and coconut sugar.
- Fruit: If you don’t have apples on hand or don’t like apples, you could try their fruits as well. Other options that would be good in this recipe are pears, peaches, plums, or cherries.
- Flour: You could substitute wheat flour for regular flour for a healthier option. You might also try a gluten-free option, but I can’t personally say whether or not it will turn out the same.
- Sauces: If you don’t want to make a traditional powdered sugar glaze, you could also make a simple caramel sauce.
What To Serve With Apple Dessert Pizza
This apple pizza is a wonderful after-dinner dessert that is delicious and sweet while still being light.
Or, you could eat this dessert pizza with a cup of coffee or tea if you feel like it!
Frequently Asked Questions About Apple Dessert Pizza
Whenever I share this recipe, I get some of the same questions. Here are the most popular ones that people ask!
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please leave them in the comments, and I’ll answer them as soon as I possibly can.
Do you cook apples before making apple pizza?
No, you don’t need to precook the apple slices. They will cook just perfectly as they are in the oven. This way, you will get perfectly cooked apples on top that still have a little texture to them.
Can you make apple pizza ahead of time?
This apple dessert pizza is best served immediately, but there are a few things that you can do ahead of time. You can make the dough for the crust ahead of time and store it in the fridge. Then, when you are ready to eat the pizza, assemble everything and bake it as the recipe says to.
Can I freeze this dessert?
The best way to freeze this apple dessert pizza is to make the dough for the crust ahead of time and freeze that separately. Then, when you are ready to eat the pizza, thaw out the dough and form it, prepare the toppings, and cook as the recipe says to.
MORE GRANDMA-APPROVED RECIPES TO TRY
If you enjoyed this recipe for apple pizza for dessert, take a look at some of these other yummy recipes:
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- No-Bake Frozen Lemonade Pie
- Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Okay, how much are you loving this dessert pizza? Let me know! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below!
- Pizza Pie Pan
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 3 Small Bowls
- Pastry Cutter
- 3-4 Gala or Fuji Apples, cored & thinly sliced
- 1 cup lukewarm water (about 110º)
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 ½ cups flour
Cinnamon & Sugar Topping
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
Butter & Sugar Topping
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Set out 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) to let it soften.
- Preheat oven to 450º
Prepare Pizza Crust
- Dissolve yeast in the lukewarm water.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients for the pizza crust: sugar, salt & flour.
- Add the water and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine well. Set aside to let it rise.
- In another small bowl, combine the ingredients for the cinnamon & sugar topping. Stir until combined.
- In another small bowl, combine the ingredients for the butter & sugar topping: flour, sugar and butter, with a pastry cutter.
Apples & Putting it All Together
- Wash the apples and core them, then thinly slice. No need to peel them.
- Spray a metal pizza pan with non-stick spray.
- Spread pizza crust on pizza pan.
- Spread apples on top of crust.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture on top of the apples.
- Then top with the butter and sugar topping.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until topping is browned.
- While the pizza cooks, combine the glaze toppings: powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Once pizza is finished cooking, let it cool for 5 minutes, then drizzle the glaze over it.
- Enjoy while warm!