This chocolate chip bundt cake recipe is so easy to make and it only takes 8 ingredients to make- you probably already have them in your pantry! Packed full of mini chocolate chips, this sour cream bundt cake is absolutely amazing and delicious. It’s perfect for dessert or a special breakfast.
I’m not sure if you know this, but bundt cakes are huge in the south.
I grew up eating bundt cake my whole life and they truly just fill me up with nostalgia. My mom would frequently make different variations of bundt cakes and have them ready to eat as a sweet snack after school while I did my homework. Both of my grandmothers were notorious for making their delicious sour cream bundt cakes any time the grandkids would visit and we loved it.
So, for today’s recipe, I decided to pay them each a little homage and share my version of a bundt cake… with chocolate chips!
This chocolate chip bundt cake recipe is sort of like a mix between a soft chocolate chip cookie and a yummy vanilla cake. My kids absolutely love it and I am looking forward to the day when I get to teach them how to make it themselves so they can continue the tradition of passing down family recipes.
Ingredients Needed To Make This Yellow Bundt Cake With Chocolate Chips
To make this bundt cake at home, these are the ingredients you will need:
- Eggs: Make sure you let the eggs sit at room temperature before adding them to the batter.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream helps make the cake creamy and gives it a bit of tartness.
- Vegetable Oil: This oil not only helps bind all of the ingredients together but also helps keep the cake moist.
- Yellow Cake Mix: Yellow cake mix has always been a huge favorite in our family and it works perfectly in this recipe!
- Instant Vanilla Pudding: This ingredient really intensifies the flavor of vanilla but also gives the bundt cake that creaminess that helps the cake from drying out.
- Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips: I decided to go with semi-sweet because milk chocolate chips were a bit too sweet for this cake recipe.
- Chocolate Bar: I know we already added in the chocolate chips but adding in a bit of a grated chocolate bar allows for delicious chocolate throughout the cake… who doesn’t like that?
- Powdered Sugar: This part is optional and purely for decoration. So, if you feel like this cake has enough sugar going on, you can simply omit it.
What To Serve With Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
I’m a big believer in cake and coffee! There is just something about that combo that just screams COMFORT.
For a kid-friendly drink, I highly recommend serving a slice of this bundt cake with a glass of cold milk or a cup of homemade hot chocolate.
To really step up your cake game, serve this chocolate chip bundt cake with a scoop of vanilla or chocolate ice cream!
Frequently Asked Questions About Bundt Cake
Whenever I share this recipe, I get some of the same questions. Here are the most popular ones that people ask!
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please leave them in the comments and I’ll answer them as soon as I possibly can.
What can I use to replace the sour cream?
If you are unable (or don’t like) to use sour cream, you can easily swap it out for some greek yogurt.
Do I need to grease the bundt pan before I add the batter?
Yes! I use a baking spray or shortening to grease the pan before adding in the cake batter.
Can I swap out the yellow box cake for another flavor?
You can! Our family loves yellow cake, but you can always swap it out for another kind of cake mix. I recommend a vanilla or chocolate cake mix.
Can I make this chocolate chip bundt cake gluten-free?
Yup, it would actually be pretty easy. Just make sure to buy a gluten-free cake mix and a packet of gluten-free instant pudding mix.
MORE GRANDMA-APPROVED RECIPES TO TRY
If you enjoyed this recipe for chocolate chip bundt cake, take a look at some of these other yummy recipes:
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos
- Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Classic Homemade Lasagna
- Beef Enchilada Recipe With Cheese
Would you make this chocolate chip bundt cake for breakfast or for dessert? I really want to know! I’d also love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments below!
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- Bundt Cake Pan
- Large bowl
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 box of instant vanilla pudding
- 12 oz. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 4 oz. bar of chocolate, grated
- powdered sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Grease bundt pan with cooking spray or shortening
- Bake in bundt pan at 350º for 50-60 minutes
- Dust with powdered sugar for garnish
Leave a Reply