Do you love the taste of fresh whipped cream but don’t want to spend the money on store-bought? This post is for you! I’m going to show you how to make homemade whipped cream using just 3 ingredients. This recipe is super easy to make and is ready in just 5 minutes!
Have you ever been to a nice restaurant and ordered a dessert that had homemade whipped cream on top? And then you get a dollop of this fluffy, creamy goodness, and it just melts in your mouth? Yeah, homemade whipped cream is seriously the best!
Now, I’m not saying that store-bought whipped cream is bad. It’s definitely convenient and can be a lifesaver in a pinch. But, if you have the time, making homemade whipped cream is so worth it!
It’s actually really easy to make homemade whipped cream, and it only takes a few minutes. Plus, fresh whipped cream tastes a million times better than store-bought.
In just 5 minutes, you can have the best whipped cream recipe to top off your desserts or coffee!
To make this homemade whipped cream recipe, you will need the following ingredients…
- Heavy whipping cream: This is the base of the recipe and what will make your whipped cream nice and thick.
- Sugar: I like to use granulated sugar, but you could also use powdered sugar.
- Vanilla extract: This is completely optional, but I like to add a little bit for flavor.
Kitchen equipment needed
Here are a few things you’ll need to make the best whipped cream:
- Electric mixer (handheld or stand mixer with a whisk attachment)
- Small mixing bowl (glass would be best)
- 1 cup, tablespoon, and teaspoon.
- Use cold ingredients. This will help the whipping process go faster and give you stiffer peaks.
- Don’t overmix. Once the whipped cream has reached stiff peaks, stop mixing! Otherwise, you’ll risk overwhipping and having your whipped cream turn into butter.
- Use a glass bowl. Glass bowls retain cold better than metal bowls, which will also help with step number one.
What to serve with fresh homemade whipped cream
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy homemade whipped cream!
Sometimes, my kiddos like it when I make them a surprise milkshake and finish it off with some fresh whipped cream and a maraschino cherry (or two).
My all-time favorite way to serve homemade whipped cream is with a bowl of fresh berries. Sweet and simple!
Whenever I share this fresh whipped cream recipe, I get some of the same questions. Here are the most popular ones that people ask!
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please leave them in the comments, and I’ll answer them as soon as I possibly can.
Can I add flavoring to whipped cream?
Yes, you can! I like to add vanilla extract, but you could also try:
- Almond extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Lemon zest
- Peppermint extract
- Salted caramel sauce
- Cocoa powder
Just be sure to taste as you go so you don’t add too much.
Do I need to use an electric mixer?
Yes, an electric mixer is necessary for this recipe. A handheld or stand mixer with a whisk attachment will work.
Can I double this recipe?
Yes, you can easily double or triple this homemade whipped cream recipe if you need to. Just be sure to use a larger bowl and mix for a few extra minutes if you’re doubling or tripling the recipe.
How do I thicken whipped cream?
If your homemade whipped cream is too runny, you can try adding more sugar or chilling it in the fridge for a bit. If all else fails, you can always add a bit of instant pudding mix or unflavored gelatin to thicken it up.
What can I use instead of heavy cream?
If you don’t have heavy cream on hand, you can try using evaporated milk or even whipping cream. Just keep in mind that the results may not be as thick and fluffy as with heavy cream.
How long does homemade whipped cream last?
In my opinion, homemade whipped cream tastes best when it’s fresh. However, it will last in the fridge for up to 5 days if you store it in an airtight container.
Can I freeze fresh whipped cream?
Yes! It can be frozen for up to 2 months. I like to freeze it in ice cube trays so I can thaw out just what I need for each recipe.
More grandma-approved recipes to try
If you enjoyed this recipe for homemade whipped cream, take a look at some of these other yummy recipes:
- Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- Classic Homemade Cheesecake
- Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- The Best Carrot Cake Recipe
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
If you decide to try this recipe, let me know. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below!
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Electric mixer – handheld or stand mixer with whisk attachment
- small mixing bowl
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients into a small mixing bowl.
- Whip together with a hand mixer on medium for 3-5 minutes until the whipped cream forms soft medium peaks.
- Use immediately or keep in a air tight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.