- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 oz. gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 oz. white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Blanch green beans: Set a large stock pot of water on high on the stove until boiling. Add the green beans to the boiling water and let boil for 5 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, fill a large mixing bowl with ice water.
- Drain the green beans from the boiling water and put them in the ice bath for 2 minutes. This will stop the cooking process and the beans should be bright green and tender, but still firm.
- Using tongs, remove the green beans from the ice bath and place in a baking dish.
- Make the cream sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan on medium-high and add the sliced shallots. Cook until shallots are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the stove to medium and add the flour. Whisk until well combined and starts to brown.
- Taking time between each addition to stir, add the wine, broth, milk and soy sauce.
- Continually stir the sauce and allow the sauce to thicken. Turn the heat up until the sauce simmers for 1-2 minutes until it thickens a little more. We want it to coat the green beans well and not be soup!
- Remove the saucepan from heat and whisk in the cheeses, garlic and salt.
- Pour the sauce over the green beans.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Then uncover the pan and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Then remove the dish from the oven, stir the green beans and sprinkle the crispy fried onions on top and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until the onions are toasty.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes and then serve warm.
- If you need to make this ahead, assemble the casserole, but leave the fried onions off the top. Cover with foil, and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to eat it, follow the baking instructions according to the recipe instructions.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetables, side dish, Thanksgiving