Delicious chocolate chip banana nut bread is a classic and comforting treat that’s perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. This recipe combines moist and flavorful bananas with crunchy chocolate chips, nuts, brown sugar, and sour cream to create a delicious treat that will be sure to please everyone in the family.
Whether you’re looking for something special for brunch or just want to enjoy a cozy snack at home, this chocolate chip banana nut bread is the perfect solution!
Bananas lend a delightful sweetness and moisture to the bread, while chocolate chips contribute an extra layer of flavor. Nuts add a lovely crunchy texture – as well as nutritional benefits! Sour cream makes the bread rich and creamy for added luxury, while brown sugar brings a warmth that rounds out all of the ingredients.
I mean, how can you resist this chocolate-studded loaf?
You will need the following ingredients to make this homemade banana nut bread:
- Bananas: A must for this recipe! Whenever you make banana bread, you want to make sure that the bananas are nice and ripe. The riper the banana, the sweeter your chocolate chip banana nut bread will be. You’ll need 3 of them.
- Nuts: Use your favorite type of nuts for this recipe! I love walnuts, but you can also use pecans or almonds if you’d prefer.
- Chocolate Chips: A chocolate banana bread just wouldn’t be the same without chocolate chips. You can use any type you’d like – semi-sweet, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate would work!
- Sour Cream: Sour cream gives the banana bread a creamy finish and helps keep it moist. Brown Sugar: Using brown sugar will give the bread a delicious caramel undertone. You’ll need 1 cup.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is best for this recipe! You can use white or whole wheat flour for a healthier version if you’d like.
- Eggs: Adding in 2 eggs will help give the banana bread a nice, spongy texture.
- Butter: You’ll need ½ cup of softened butter to give the bread a nice, buttery flavor.
- Baking Soda: This helps the bread rise as it bakes. Don’t forget this!
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt will help enhance the flavor.
Kitchen equipment needed
Here are a few things you’ll need to make a moist banana nut bread recipe with sour cream:
Tips on how to make banana nut bread
Follow these tips to help ensure that your warm nutty banana bread will come out perfectly every time…
- Make sure the ingredients are all at room temperature. This helps them blend more easily and evenly.
- Use super-ripe bananas. The riper the banana, the sweeter and more flavorful your chocolate chip banana nut bread will be.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Just stir until everything is combined, then stop! Overmixing can cause the banana bread to become dense and dry.
- Grease your loaf pan with butter or cooking spray. This will help ensure that the banana nut bread doesn’t stick to the pan as it bakes.
- Be careful not to overbake the banana bread. You’ll know it’s done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before slicing. This will ensure that it won’t fall apart when you try to cut into it.
What to serve with chocolate chip banana nut bread
This chocolate chip banana nut bread is delicious when served with a hot cup of tea or coffee. It can also be enjoyed as breakfast, snack, or dessert!
If you’re feeling extra indulgent, why not top the warm loaf with some melted chocolate chips (or Nutella) and nut butter?
How to store and freeze
Whenever you make this bread recipe, it can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If you’d like to freeze it, wrap the loaf in aluminum foil or in food-safe plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag. It will stay fresh for up to 2 months.
Whenever I share this banana nut bread recipe, I get some of the same questions. Here are the most popular ones that people ask!
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please leave them in the comments, and I’ll answer them as soon as possible.
What do I do if my bananas are not ripe enough?
If your bananas are not ripe enough, you can place them in a paper bag with an apple or banana peel overnight. The fruit will ripen in no time!
Can I use applesauce instead of butter?
Yes, you can! Applesauce is a great substitute for butter in this chocolate banana nut bread recipe.
Why is my banana nut bread so dry?
If you find your banana nut bread to be dry, it could be because of a few reasons. The most common one is over-baking the bread. Make sure you check the cake with a toothpick after baking for 25 minutes; if it comes out clean, then the bread is ready!
Why is my banana bread loaf too wet?
If your banana nut bread is too wet, it could be because you haven’t used enough flour. Make sure to use the measurements listed in the recipe, and don’t forget to sift the flour before measuring it out!
Can I double up on this recipe?
Absolutely! If you’d like to make more than one loaf of banana bread, simply double the ingredients listed in the recipe. The baking time will stay the same.
More Grandma-Approved Recipes
If you loved this recipe for chocolate chip banana nut bread, here are a few other recipes you should try! They are all delicious and grandma-approved.
- No-Bake Banana Pudding Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Pie
- Homemade Fudge Brownies with Frosting
- Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you decide to try this recipe, let me know. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below!Print
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour (white or whole wheat)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar with mixer.
- Add bananas and mix well.
- Add eggs and continue mixing.
- Dissolve soda in sour cream, then add to mixture.
- Add flour and salt and mix well.
- Fold in nuts and chocolate chips. Hold back a few chocolate chips for sprinkling on top.
- Pour batter into a well-greased and floured pan. Add a few chocolate chips to the top of the loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked goods, banana nut bread recipe with sour cream, breads and muffins, chocolate chip banana nut bread, homemade banana nut bread