Need to feed a big family? Check out this recipe for bacon cheddar ranch chicken salad! Using 5 easy ingredients and leftover chopped chicken, this protein-packed salad is simple to make and can be whipped up in just minutes. Plus, it’s full of delicious flavor!
I’ve shared a few different salads on this blog, but I am really excited to share this recipe for my bacon cheddar ranch chicken salad.
It is one of my all-time favorite salads, and it’s so easy to make- with good reason! It’s loaded with so many yummy ingredients like chicken, crispy bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese.
And, don’t forget the ranch. A good ranch dressing is EVERYTHING!
This bacon ranch salad works great to serve at a picnic or family BBQ. It serves perfectly a whole family of 6. You can easily double or triple the recipe if needed.
It also works great for meal prep! I like to make a whole batch and keep it in the fridge for a quick lunch or snack.
My kids love to eat it too!
To make this yummy ranch chicken salad recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken: To keep prep time short for this salad, use chopped cooked chicken. You can either make the chicken in advance or use leftover rotisserie chicken. You’ll need 3 cups!
- Mayonnaise: I like to add mayo to really combine all the ingredients together. To keep the chicken salad low carb, use avocado oil mayo. You’ll need a 1/3 cup.
- Ranch Dressing: The ranch dressing in this recipe really takes the salad to the next level. You can either use a store-bought ranch or make your own. Use a 1/2 cup!
- Green Onions: These give the salad a nice crunch and flavor. Not to mention, a pretty pop of green color. Instead of green onions, you can use a shallot or a red onion. 2-3 green onion stalks will do.
- Cheese: I love to use cheddar cheese in this recipe! You can also use Colby jack or pepper jack cheese instead. Try shredding the cheese yourself for extra creaminess. Add in 1/2 cup of cheese!
- Bacon: The best part of this chicken bacon ranch salad is the BACON! I like to use this crispy oven-baked bacon and chop it up into bite-sized pieces before adding it to the salad. Use 5-6 slices of crumbled bacon.
- Salt and Pepper: Go for some simple seasoning since all of the other ingredients already have a tasty flavor.
What To Serve With Bacon Cheddar Ranch Chicken Salad
This chicken bacon ranch salad works great as a main dish! You can eat it as is with a few saltine crackers or in a sandwich.
Serve it with some of your favorite chips and a piece of fudgy brownie.
Trying to keep this meal low carb? Serve this bacon ranch chicken salad with some oven-roasted broccoli!
Whenever I share this ranch chicken salad recipe, I get some of the same questions. Here are the most popular ones that people ask!
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please leave them in the comments, and I’ll answer them as soon as possible.
What’s the best kind of chicken to add to this bacon ranch salad?
You can use any type of chicken that you have on hand for this recipe. I like to use chopped chicken breast, but shredded or rotisserie chicken will work as well.
Sometimes, I’ll use grilled chicken thighs!
Can I add any more vegetables?
Yes! You can serve the chicken salad on top of some romaine lettuce or baby spinach with some cherry tomatoes.
How do I make this salad low-carb?
While this chicken bacon salad is naturally gluten-free, there are a few swaps you can use to make it low-carb friendly.
Use a keto mayo, like one made with avocado oil. Also, make sure to use sugar-free bacon and a sugar-free ranch dressing.
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
Yes, you can. Just swap out the ranch dressing and shredded cheese for dairy-free versions.
More Grandma-Approved Recipes
If you loved this bacon ranch chicken salad, here are a few other recipes that you should try! They are all delicious and grandma-approved.
- The Best Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Black Bean Salad with Corn
- Fruit Chicken Salad Recipe
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Radish Potato Salad
Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad With Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 2-3 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5-6 slices of bacon, crumbled
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Cook chicken, if you haven't already and chop it into bite-sized pieces.
- Thinly slice green onions and crumbled the bacon slices. (Buy bacon crumbles to save time.)
- Shred cheddar cheese if not pre-shredded.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine well.
- Then add bacon, green onions and cheddar cheese.
- Stir them gently to combine.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.