Baked Chicken & Cream Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts
- 10 ½ oz. cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ lbs. carrots, sliced
- ½ bunch celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. water
Baking the Chicken & Cream Sauce
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees
- Pat chicken breasts dry and place in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Combine salt, pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle seasoning on chicken.
- Combine sour cream and cream of chicken soup in small bowl and spoon evenly on each chicken breast.
- Bake at 370 degrees for 1 hour.
- Once the chicken is cooked, cool for about 10 minutes and cut up into bite-sized pieces. (Put aside the 9 x 13 baking dish for later.)
- Place the chicken and cream sauce in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Cooking the Vegetables
- While chicken cooks, slice the carrots and celery into ¼ inch pieces.
- Chop the onion.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, celery and onion and the saucepan and cook on high for about 18 minutes, stirring regularly.
- While the veggies cook, combine 1 cup of water and 2 Tbsp. of flour and whisk together.
- Once the veggies are browned and cooked through, remove from heat.
- Pour the water/flour mixture in and stir until thickened. If needed, turn the heat back on until thickened.
- In a large bowl, combine veggies and sauce with the cut up chicken and cream sauce.
- Add the mixture back to the 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, use a pastry cutter to blend flour, salt and shortening together.
- Add 5 Tbsp. of water to the flour mixture and stir until combined. If you need more water to reach a pastry consistency, add a teaspon at a time.
- Roll crust out onto a floured surface until larger than the shape of the baking dish.
- Cover the pie with the crust and cut the edges to fit, making holes or slits in the top of the crust to vent the steam.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30-45 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
- If you like a lot of vegetables, you can double the carrots, celery and onion. I almost always double them!
- If you want to make ahead and freeze, you can! Make the entire thing, down to the crust and cover the top tightly with aluminum foil. Store in the freezer up to 3-4 months.
- I love to give this to new moms or someone about to have surgery. If you bring it to them uncooked, ahead of time, they can cook it themselves whenever they want or keep it in their freezer until they need it.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken dinner