If you are looking for an easy and delicious side dish, you should try making this cilantro lime rice recipe! This rice is full of flavor and goes so well with other Mexican-inspired dishes. Creating nourishing and filling meals that are packed with delicious flavor is one of my favorite things to do! This side dish can be made quickly to go alongside your main dish for a filling meal for the whole family.
Make Taco Tuesday Even Better With A Side of Cilantro Lime Rice!
Did someone say Taco Tuesday? Or better yet- Taco Bowl Tuesday?
I’m not sure, but I am here for it!
This cilantro lime rice recipe is the perfect base for a taco rice bowl or side dish that is full of flavor. If you ever thought that rice was bland, think again.
This rice recipe makes a quick and easy meal that is no ordinary rice. It is flavorful, filling, and might even become the star of the show on your table.
The great thing about this cilantro lime rice is that can be easily customized according to your needs. You can make all kinds of substitutions according to what you have in your pantry!
If you are like me and love quick and easy meals that are still satisfying, then this recipe is for you. You might even want to try wrapping this rice up with some beans in a tortilla for a delicious burrito! You would be amazed at how versatile this rice recipe can be.
Ingredients Needed To Make Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
To make this tasty and flavorful cilantro and lime rice recipe, you will need just a few ingredients.
- Extra Long Grain Rice: Using extra long grain rice in this recipe helps to create a rice dish full of texture and chew. Long grain rice stays firmer and fluffier instead of becoming soft or sticky.
- Water: Water is one of the main ingredients because you will need it to cook the rice. If you are looking for an extra boost of flavor, you could add some extra lime juice to the cooking water. This will add even more flavor to the cooked rice!
- Salt: Salt will help to not only season your rice but brighten up the flavors of lime and cilantro. It will help to highlight these flavors and make them more prominent.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil helps to coat the grains of rice, keeping them from sticking together and clumping up. It also helps the cilantro and salt to better stick to the rice.
- Fresh Cilantro: Cilantro is one of the main stars of the show in this recipe. It is a tangy herb with a slight citrus flavor that you will find in most Mexican foods.
- Fresh Lime Juice: Lime juice adds a delicious tang and sourness that sets this rice apart from other rice dishes. It also has a citrusy flavor that pairs beautifully with cilantro.
- Cauliflower For Rice: If you are sensitive to certain grains or are looking for an option that has fewer carbs, cauliflower is a good substitution for rice in this recipe. You can easily make cauliflower rice at home or buy it pre-made. Cauliflower rice also takes less time as you can quickly cook it in a pan on the stove.
- Brown Rice For White Rice: You can also substitute brown rice in the place of white rice for a healthier option. Just make it exactly as you would with white rice. You might need to add more cilantro since brown rice has a stronger flavor of its own.
- Parsley for Cilantro: Parsley and cilantro have very similar flavor profiles, but cilantro is just a bit stronger. You can easily replace cilantro with parsley by adding more parsley for a similar flavor profile. Just make sure that you use fresh parsley!
What to Serve with Cilantro Lime Rice
Want a fast meal that includes this cilantro lime rice? Why not add it to this recipe for ground beef burritos! This makes an amazing combination for a flavorful and filling meal that can be quickly thrown together.
This rice would also go nicely with these beef enchiladas with cheese sauce as a flavorful side dish. This makes a delicious Mexican-inspired meal that everyone will love.
Sometimes, when we are in the mood for something besides actual tacos, I like to make a delicious Mexican-inspired salad bar at home by combining lettuce, beans, ground beef seasoned with my homemade taco seasoning, and salsa with this rice! This makes the perfect summer meal that is light and refreshing without sacrificing flavor or satisfaction.
If your family enjoys eating Mexican-inspired food, you should definitely try this cilantro lime rice! It makes a perfect side to any Mexican-inspired meal and is fast and easy to make.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cilantro Lime Rice
Whenever I share this recipe, I get some of the same questions. Here are the most popular ones that people ask!
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please leave them in the comments, and I’ll answer them as soon as I possibly can.
Can I make this recipe in a rice cooker?
Yes! You definitely can make this recipe in a rice cooker or even in a pressure cooker. Simply follow the instructions on your cooker in order to cook the rice completely.
In order to have more flavorful rice that doesn’t lose all of its texture, try lightly toasting it in a pan over medium heat with a touch of oil before cooking. This will help the grains of rice to stay firm after being cooked.
What can I use instead of lime juice?
Lime juice is a pretty important part of this recipe. Simply because there are only two main flavors in this rice and lime juice is one of them.
But, if you don’t happen to have any limes on hand, you could substitute it with a bit of lemon juice. It won’t provide the same flavor, but it will add tartness.
How long will this rice last?
This rice will last 3 to 4 days if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You can extend that shelf life dramatically by freezing the rice for up to 3 months!
Just make sure to completely seal the rice in an airtight bag or container before freezing. Simply defrost and reheat when you are ready to eat the rice.
MORE GRANDMA-APPROVED RECIPES TO TRY
If you enjoyed this recipe for cilantro lime rice, then take a look at some of these other yummy recipes:
- The Easiest Ground Beef Tacos
- Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Beef Enchilada Recipe With Cheese Sauce
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Medium saucepan with a lid
- Large bowl
- 2 cups extra long grain rice or basmati rice
- 3 ½ cups water
- 2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 6 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice from 1-2 limes
- Bring 3 1/2 cups of water to boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the rice, 1 tsp. of oil and 2 tsp. of salt. Stir and cover.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until all of the water evaporates.
- Turn off the stovetop and leave the rice covered for another 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, chopped cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply